Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The road less traveled

A lot of changes in the last couple of months made me realize that all that it seems is not what it is.

I'm not stating the unobvious but its just that its a realization thats now confirmed. The way up the corporate ladder is quite dirty. Step up is always up and down in values. Someone once told me which I strongly now believe in, there will always be time when you will need to decide whether you want it or not? And at what price? The price is what you pay for your thoughts turn into values. The values that you set for yourself and never ever compromise on those.
I thought the change would be tough to let go and start again but to my surprise I held on to the roots for a long time moving along with the change. I didn't adjust to the mediocrity but infact only emerged stronger in valuing what I had and now confident of what i will not want from my future.

On my journey i realized how shallow people were. I could see through them to see that they pretended to be who they were not... how others sucked up to these people and thought they were only securing their future. People who had such low security levels and obviously hollow confidence levels. But I sailed through all this, I stood with my values didn't give into what I didn't believe was right and what i thought was against my integrity.

I realized how people would pay any price to ensure they secure their position and at any cost.

For me it was a path i decided not to tread and I know I will pay a price for it. I remember this poem by Robert Frost which has been with me forever, The Road not taken, and the excerpts read...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, welcome to the small club of people who think, and welcome to the smaller club of people who have values.

Values by definition, for me, are beliefs that we have for which we are willing to pay a price to stand comitted by them.

Remember, the way up every ladder, not just the corporate ladder, is quite dirty. That's why the age old saga between mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law, the issues between sisters-in-law, thats why very few childhood friendships survive and the list goes on. The very basic human need to survive ensures that human beings are competitive in every walk of life.

So if there is dirt everywhere around us, the only way to get through is to have faith. Faith is probably what carries us through in life ... in difficult situations, in situations where we feel people around us are crunbling to the needs and pressures of life and sometimes when we feel we are ourselves crumbling. And faith for me is believing that Good will triumph over Evil, that people who are good human beings will do well for themselves (in absolute terms, not compared to anybody else) and that what goes around comes around. So have faith.

And you are right - sometimes experiences help us learn what we do not want from life - this holds true not just for professional needs but also in our life. Some people that we meet, we really value those relationships. But as time goes by, those relationships fade away ... they just fade away and one day you wake up and realize that it was not meant to be. Not in this life, not in the next life ...

And this is not about paying a price, my dear friend, it is about faith ... that you do what is right for you and for the other person, for humankind per se ... and in the long run, you will be happy and at peace with yourself and when you look into the mirror at night, you will go to bed knowing that you have been a good person, a good human being.

For having taken the road less travelled, you will not pay a price, YOU WILL BE MAKING A DIFFERENCE TO THE WORLD.

May God always give you the strength to do what you believe in.