Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

By My Side

It’s a bright sunny day at work and as I enter office with no one in at 9 a.m. I feel all charged up to start my work without any interruptions.

As I start my day with a cup of some lemon tea and my notepad striking of the done and adding things to do in my job-list I realize that there is so much to accomplish in such little time. I need to finish all this within the time I have set for myself and then rush back home to my baby. She has been waiting for me all day and now I need to make it up to her for staying away all day long.

I send some emails, finish a few calls, sit through a few meetings and close some pending tasks and finally check the watch for lunch. Rush through lunch, actually no maybe I look forward to it because it comes from my mom. And we all know what “maa ke haath ka khana” means….

Soon after lunch back to the grind again after a quick phone call home to check if my little angel has eaten today or not.

At four quickly grab a cup of tea again and have a few team discussions and at 5 back to some last minute stuff as I pack my bags and am ready to leave at 5.30. – 6.00 to avoid the traffic and reach home early. Yes I’m in an envious position as leaving office at this time is unheard of. Even people at work do! I’m use to the glares that I get when I’m at the door which say… how do you manage to leave on time everyday, don’t you have enough work? Not a single one says wow shes got to be good, she is so disciplined to leave office everyday on time. Or ya she can leave as she comes in early as well! But no we ought to be negative!

But I’ve reached a point where it doesn’t affect me, actually nothing affects me but my work and my family. I have managed to prioritize between the two and say there is only so much of me that I can give to each one of them.

As I hail a cab and continue finishing a few work calls and the most important call to my mom, who somehow never runs out of conversation with her daughters.

Excited to go back to my daughter and hug her tight is what I’m looking forward to. As I climb the stairs to the door of my house, I wait to see her face light up as she sees my face. I feel a gush of love and happiness to see, what I mean to her. The world becomes the most beautiful place on earth and life is beautiful suddenly. I dress my little princess in pink and put pretty clips in her hair. While I run in the park, slide with her or swing with her, or fall down while I play ringa ringa roses I am oblivion to everything else.

The evening continues with dinner and her bath time and some more play. As the day ends and she falls asleep I lay down on my bed finally thinking of the day gone by and how I have accomplished something at work, as a mother, as a wife, but the me was missing… while the head was filled with all these thoughts the body had no energy and my eyes closed and the thoughts drifted away to recoup lots of energy for the new day.

As the alarm rings and I open my eyes I see my daughter on one side and my husband on the other, a sense of completeness fills me. I feel content and happy. Yes I am now full of energy and enthusiasm to start a new day that will be brighter than yesterday. The pace of life can never slow me down, words of envious people can never hurt, work will never seem impossible or difficult if I have the people I love by my side.

Technorati Profile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this one is probably one of you finest writings. Our loved ones truly keep us going.

Look forward to more of your writings.