Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My first IPL LIVE!

Over a random fight with my husband over how Bombay is so boring and there are few options to actually do something every weekend, we stumbled upon the idea of going for the IPL matches.

The tickets were booked; the coordination with friends was done; FB status was updated, Tweets sent out. Sunday was literally spent in publicizing my visit to watch the match at the CCI.

When I went to collect my tickets at the counter I was actually impressed with the ease with which things were managed. We grabbed some food before getting in as we were sure that the food wouldn’t be great even if we had the best seats.

The pheriwallas(street vendors) added drama & excitement with team flags, t-shirts, whistles, caps, bands, the works. I too gave in the temptation and bought a whistle.

As I entered I was overwhelmed by the crowd, the music, the commentators, arrangement. Whew! Everything.

As I cheered for Sharukh's knight riders I knew that in Mumbai there is only one god and that is Sachin Tendulkar! The crowd went hysterical with every move of the master blaster.

The cheer leaders entertained, were up and dancing with every hit or wicket. The DJ cheered the crowd and ensured the players were well supported all through the match. I was amused and entertained with the desi music that entertained everybody including the phirangi cheerleaders who didn’t understand any of it.

When the little master came out to bat, there were people dancing, jumping waving their flags, whistling, screaming his name & runs. For a a moment it just seemed like cricket was a religion in India and Sachin was the only god we worshiped.

I just wondered how Lalit Modi has just made Cricket into a full blown masala movie. There is action, glamour, drama, you just cant get enough of!

As Sachin batted the last ball for a four and the crowd cheered for their favourite team I was trying to capture all these moments in my mind to never let this memory ever fade off...


Technorati Profile

No comments: