Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I want my private life back!

In a general discussion over lunch the other day we stumbled on the topic, blurring lines between work & private time. As the conversation progressed my friend told me that how her ex colleagues have now become really good friends and they practically hang together all weekends. I went back in time to think of all those Friday evenings before my daughter was born, where we all went for a Friday evening drink and relaxed and shed our inhibitions and egos to become a great team and above all great friends. Alcohol sure helps bonding, I completely endorse it!

Obviously people who were compromised in the bargain were friends “friends” and my dear husband.

Going out is no longer restricted to friends alone, you will always have someone from work to entertain all the time, after all its always important to network right? Says who!!!

Do we actually want to stay connected with work all the time or is it the lack of inclination to explore other interests that keeps us addicted to work all the time. Or is it our insecurities of being dispensable that makes us respond to all communication even if it isn’t earth shattering and could wait until Monday.

It is I who has made the choice to compromise that weekend, nobody has asked me to. I don’t want to compartmentalize my life but integrate it to ensure I straddle all relationships all the time. Remember we all believe that we have to keep everybody happy.

No time for myself or lets put it this way struggle to prioritize time for myself over the week to pursue anything but work. Even if I do that place/hobby needs to help me network. E.g. more and more people wanting to join clubs, gyms, classes, games that actually helps them initiate a conversation. It reminds me of a conversation with a friend where she became a member of a really nice new club but she was upset as she did not get membership to the ‘IT’ club where the crowd would have been better and she could network well to climb the ladder up faster.

This is also a quality that we are subconsciously passing onto our children. No activity for ourselves or bad time management is what they will pick up from us. We will push them to academics by default and compromise on their hobby or passion which could be their careers tomorrow.

Is this the reason why a lot of us get burnt out earlier than we could work and we want to take that time off even if it’s the peak of our career?

So what am I going to do about it? I no longer know how to silo myself from work.

So, gang, has anyone cracked this nut? How do you draw firm lines to give yourself true time off when, no matter what you do, the world keeps spinning, the conversation keeps going, and the work keeps piling up?

Needless to say, I'll be checking this discussion 24/7.

Technorati Profile

No comments: